So you’re interested in starting an online business here in Nigeria, but you’re not exactly sure where to start.
In many ways, starting an online business in Nigeria is similar to opening up a brick-and-mortar store. You’ll make a plan, organize your funding, produce a product or service, then get to work.
However, there are some unique aspects to running an online business that you need to consider for it to be successful.
Here are the steps you should follow to increase your chances of success:
Find the Market First
When starting an online business in Nigeria, many people choose the product/service first and then go looking for the market.
However, it’s best to do this the other way around: find a group of people with a specific problem, and then create a product/service that offers a solution to this problem.
Finding your market can be easy with some internet research. Here are a few suggestions:
- Check out online forums like Nairaland, to see what issues people are trying to solve
- Do keyword research and make a list of keywords people are commonly searching
- Check out potential competitors in the field and see what they’re doing to meet the demand
Write Killer Copy
Once you’ve found a product/service that can offer a solution to your audience, it’s time to write some copy to sell that product/service.
There are thousands of books that explain how to write the best sales copy. But, the main thing you should focus on is writing a copy that addresses the customer's problem.
Create a Website
You know your market, you know your product/service, and you’re ready to tell why your products/service awesome. Now, you’re ready to create your website.
When someone enters your site, you only have a few seconds to grab their attention. To grab their attention you should:
- Keep navigation easy and simple on every page
- Use videos, graphics, and other visuals to grab attention
- Include opt-in offers so you can obtain email addresses
- Make it super easy to buy- no more than 2 clicks to get to the checkout
- Make sure your content is high-quality
- Offer multiple payment options- Paystack and Flutterwave are the two most preferred payment processors in Nigeria
Use Search Engines to Drive Customers to Your Site
Using PPC (Pay-Per-Click) ads can be one of the best ways to drive some immediate traffic to your site.
Unlike organic searches, PPC ads show up on the top of the search results immediately. Plus, with PPC ads you can test out different keywords, headlines, and selling approaches to figure out which one works best.
Establish Yourself As An Expert
People are way more likely to trust what you have to say and buy your product/service if they believe you are an industry expert.
You can establish your expert reputation by:
- Giving away free expert content, such as articles, guides, e-books, and videos.
- Distribute the content through online directories or by including “send to a friend” links with each piece of content.
- Engage in industry forums or industry-specific social network sites
Use the Power of Email Marketing
Anytime someone chooses to opt-in with their email, you have the opportunity to convert a visitor into a customer.
For some serious lead conversion, make sure you constantly roll out emails that offer exclusive incentives.
Starting an Online Business in Nigeria: Wrap Up
Follow these steps and you’ll be well on your way to operating a successful online business in Nigeria.
Please leave a comment if you have any questions about this post.